Sunday, October 4, 2015

Quick Trip to Yonago



My friend Tim, another ALT, makes a habit to go to new restaurants every Friday in the other big city in my prefecture, Yonago.   Tottori sits on the eastern side of the prefecture, and Yonago sits on the western side. So after work on Friday September 11th, I caught a train out to meet him and a couple other ALTs to grab some food at an all you can eat restaurant. Much like an american buffet, this Japanese restaurant had a variety of stereotypical regionally popular foods. In this case that meant instead of pizza and hamburgers, it was sushi, curry, omelette rice, and other usual Japanese dishes. The food was good and the massive quantity was much appreciated! 


I decided to stay in Yonago for the next day to check out the local sites. Tim and I ventured over to the Yonago castle ruins, which provide a spectacular view of the city, the famous Mt. Daisen, and the man made peninsula city of Sakaiminato. 






After sightseeing we headed to a delicious cafe on another ALT's recommendation. Land and Years was a pretty stellar restaurant, with a cool atmosphere and delicious food. Tim wrote a review about the restaurant here. What I thought was particularly fun about the restaurant was it's location. It was styled very much like a loft above a store in a shopping strip, with a skylight added in the middle with couches and tables to lounge around in. If I lived in the area I could see this being a fun place to hang out and relax during an afternoon.




That evening before I caught my train back to Tottori, we met up with Maria, another ALT and went on another culinary adventure. This time we went to an Indian restaurant by the station.  Apparently there is a notable Indian population in Japan, so the Indian restaurants are run by Indians who prepare rather authentic meals. Much like every other meal in Japan, it was delicious and a great way to end my weekend excursion across the prefecture. 

1 comment:

  1. Charles,
    You'll need some serious exercise after all the great chow you're eating...Enjoy
    Uncle Troy

    ReplyDelete