Sunday, May 15, 2016

Travel to Niseko: The Great Northern Adventure Part V

This was a rather mellow day. I awoke to what I assume was more typical Hokkaido weather, a blizzard. Thankfully, unlike many of the other ALTs, I did not have to catch a flight. Instead I hopped on a bus into the mountains, set for Niseko.  Niseko is a small mountain town home to one of Japan's biggest ski resorts and a variety of onsen.


I had booked a hostel style lodge, which ended up being a very interesting place to stay. Located right at the foot of Moiwa, a small resort adjacent to the massive One Niseko resorts, this log cabin had a great vibe and an eclectic collection of guests.  Matt, guy I met briefly was from the Midwest and works in IT. The small world factor really hit home when he mentioned he had even applied to work with Lewan at one point. It also had some nice lounge areas, and a good restaurant at the top, which was especially appreciated due to the sparseness of eateries in the Moiwa area.




That night I accompanied few of the other lodge guests to one of the nearby onsen. This turned into a quintessential Japanese experience, since the onsen was open air, constructed out of rocks, and had the classic divider wooden wall. To top it all off it began to lightly snow as we relaxed in the waters.  I felt refreshed and ready to make the most of the next day.
Like my other onsen pictures, this one is from their website, obviously no cameras are allowed in a bath.



No comments:

Post a Comment