Friday, June 10, 2016

High School Graduation and the End of the Japanese School Year





On the first of March the Japanese school year ends. My day started with me receiving a thank you note from Minami, a girl who I helped for her English speech at the beginning of the year, and my most consistent member of English Cafe (a weekly after school activity). Since for many students I feel, justifiably so, English is a low priority for them, I am happy to have made a difference for a student who takes it seriously. She will be sticking around the prefecture, attending the Junior College in a nearby town. I hope I can cross paths with her again.


The high school graduation ceremony in Japan is very different from the US. It is much less grand, but still carries an air or reverence and importance. It is held in the school gymnasium, with students in their uniforms. It is a rather brief ceremony, with class representatives receiving the diplomas rather than individuals, so the whole thing is done in just an afternoon. Yet there is still a lot of formality. The gardening students made a big flower display, the principal wore an amusing conductor outfit, and they even had a big bonzai tree on stage. Finding it odd, I inquired about it, and schools always have one at these ceremonies. But bonzai are expensive and take decades to cultivate, so amusingly enough, most schools just rent one for the event. At the end of the ceremony they sing the school anthem, which is also played every morning during the cleaning time. A teacher joked with me afterwards asking if American high schools had anthems, and if I find it weird that they sing in Japan. He joked it was like the Army, which is a fair comparison since many aspects of Japanese schools seem rather militaristic.

But this doesn't apply just to school. The general, almost ritualistic reverence towards many things here at school do seem uniquely Japanese. They remind me a lot of religious actions, such as morning prayers at Catholic schools, but without the religious justification. However, Japan seems to have ritualized many aspects of their life. From the standardize greetings I hear when entering any store, to the specific phrases said when leaving work, and even the importance of greeting everyone you see in the morning, these little rituals are what I think imbue the values of accommodation, respect, and consideration I have experienced during my time here in Japan.



That evening the teachers had a big enkai (work party), at The Mushroom Center, a pretty typical Japanese style entertainment hall, complete with hotel and bath and meeting rooms. Yet it is unique that it grows mushrooms, so every entree in the buffet style meal contained them.

Tons of speeches were given that evening by all the 3rd year homeroom teachers. Apparently my teachers have a quick wit, since all the speeches were very comedic. After the speeches everyone grabbed bear bottles, but used them to socialize and fill other peoples cups. This is a cultural norm (you never fill your own glass) that I appreciate quite a bit since the practice allows you to engage the person you want to while showing respect. The homeroom teachers and principals glasses were never below the brim and everyone had a good time.  Here I learned that the science teacher, Tamagawa, wanted to a musician growing up, and later an astrophysicist. He managed to achieve those dreams in a more practical sense, teaching science while also serving as the school band conductor. It's interesting and inspiring to see how people have used their interests to lead them to fulfilling work.

Afterwards I went with Kawaguchi, a teacher roughly my age to meet a couple other teachers at a local restaurant for a nijikai (second party!) These teachers were from other schools around the area, and were fun, snarky guys to chat with.

2 comments:

  1. hi , i want to use your photos for self purposes (not for marketing or any sort that would gain profits for me)
    i hope you'd give me permission to do so. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I am writing to ask if it would be possible to use the graduation photo for the Japanese oral examination in Ireland in State Exams. Looking forward to hearing from you. Ursula

    ReplyDelete