Monday, June 6, 2016

Local skiing at Daisen



Once again I had found myself in Yonago to play D&D, so the next morning on February 28th I set off early for a half day at the ‘big’ local ski resort, Daisen White.



It is located in the same area as the mountain I hiked earlier. The resort is nestled within the ridge-line of this grand peak. By Colorado standards Daisen is a modest resort, but for how close it is to Yonago, a mere 45 minutes by bus coupled with a reasonable ticket price, it is a great day trip locale.



Much like the other resorts I have skied now, Daisen is a no-nonsense resort. Accessible by a short chairlift from the main village, the base has a dining hall, a few rental places, and that’s just about it. The attraction is skiing.



 I had fun hitting cruisers throughout the day until the early afternoon, where my rental skis began to struggle through the spring skiing conditions. My half day ticket was just about to expire anyway, so the timing was nearly perfect.




 At the end of my day I went in for lunch at the base, and once again I was impressed by the size, quality, and price of the meal. In Japan, they have a Japanese-English term, “Cost Performance”, which sums up a great value in relation to its price, and ski resort food has great cost performance. I had a beef tendon bowl, which was meticulously garnished in front of me by the cafeteria staff mere minutes after I gave them my order.

It was a satisfying spring skiing day, I’m glad I shook off my laziness and got on that early morning bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment